Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Snipe Hunt Anyone?




Does anyone remember these?  When I was a teenager, we whippersnappers were always looking for some reason to go out into the wilds and look for the legend du jour.  In Tennessee, we had a lot of stuff to go in search of.  We had lots of local witch covens, and there were always the ghosts of Natchez Trace, but our favorite was...The Bell Witch.
If you have the time, take a few minutes and read about the Bell Witch.
Tammy, you may be particularly interested...this haunting is rumored to have inspired the Blair Witch Project.  At any rate, I grew up terrified by the thought of this spirit.
And writing about it has given me the chills right now.

 Augie recently asked me if he could go to a friend's house to go look for Melon Heads.

Apparently these descendants of the colonial witches are alive and well in the forests of Connecticut, Michigan and Ohio.  And they have these really big heads.  You have to go to a certain road called Dracula Drive and wait for them to come out of the woods.   Who knew there was all this fun to be had nearby?

Kids today, geesh.
Wait.
Do I see a resemblance?

Oh, and Happy Earth Day everyone.
Tread lightly, please.

15 comments:

Laura ~Peach~ said...

I am wondering if the cute teen aged male person in your life is wishhing he had never rolled his eyes at the time of that particular picture? LOL... we have had a ball with that one!

abb said...

I'll bet Augie is rolling his eye right this very moment as I type this...I'll bet this is directed toward his loving mommy. I'll just bet!!

xoabb

Anonymous said...

We used to look for big foot. Scared the heck out of ourselves is what we did!

Poor Augie! I bet there's any number of posts that he'll be featured in given the eye rolling!

Anonymous said...

I grew up in Florida near the Black Water River. Thick and almost swampy, it gave enough chills to last a lifetime!

I can imagine your son rolling his eyes when he reads your blog. "Geez, mom! Why did you have to post that picture AGAIN?"

LOL

Anonymous said...

we used to tell ghost stories on campouts until I felt like I was going to crawl right out of my skin! You know, the lady in the car and someone keeps flashing their bright lights behind her car because they see someone in her backseat getting ready to kill her...

Anonymous said...

Oh I think he is much better looking than those lousy melonheads! So funny.

Debbie said...

Gosh, just reading this gave me that scarey feeling in the pit of my stomach! Yes, we used to play in the woods ALOT down here in NC.

It was such fun to be so scared! We had a girl down the street named Candy who swore she was a witch. She lived back near the edge of the woods. Ooooh haven't thought of that in years!

Your poor sweet son ROFL he's adorable and is going to kill his Mom...that's who YOU should watch out for!!

Snooty Primadona said...

Hee hee hee hee! I believe that I do see a resemblance. Hmmm....

The Blair Witch Project scared the crap out of me. Actually, I mean the commercials for the movie. I was too scared to go see it.

When we lived in OKC my mother had a friend who owned a haunted house that she turned into a restaurant she called The Haunted House. They also lived there, upstairs. We were over there all the time (I always played with her kids.) and I swear I never saw a ghost or *felt* a thing. Still, it always creeped me out.

Anonymous said...

Oh that's wonderful! Definately let me know what your thoughts are throughout the reading process and what you think upon completion! Congrats on a purchase that could be life changing!

WORKING MOM said...

I remember lots of those things! How funny! Even funnier the use of your son's eye rolling pics.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

This was much funnier than my recollection!

Mrs. G. said...

I just had a student write a paper about how his family spent his early years trying to "teach" him how to catch a snipe, and how hard he tried until he figured it out. Families!

Mrs. G. said...

I just had a student write a paper about how his family spent his early years trying to "teach" him how to catch a snipe, and how hard he tried until he figured it out. Families!

Joanie said...

OMG...I grew up fairly close to Douglas Wyoming..Never have killed a jackalope yet, though! What a hoot!

Country Girl said...

OMG, those two photos are hilarious! I grew up in New Jersey and we had the Jersey Devil. Now, THAT was scary. As a teenager, we'd drive our cars into the Pine Barrens and it was said that some never came out. Almost happened one night!