Saturday, April 5, 2008

My Babies are Growing Way Too Fast

I know I added a word, so it's now my 7 word Mantra.
Yesterday was a busy day for the Mental Mama. First, there
was Ring Day for the Baby Bird. It seems like yesterday that we were learning how to tie our shoes, and here we are on the brink of launching. I am intellectually very clear and totally on board with all this progress nonsense. But in my heart? Still a little bit shaky.

Anyway, we are very blessed to have a wonderful school near us which The Bird has been attending since her Freshman year. The traditions here are beautiful, moving, and for the MP Mama, always a little bit tearful. Ring Day was no exception. But I am so very proud of The Bird, and so excited for her future, that I managed to pull myself together...

I also met with her college guidance counselors, and we had a great discussion where I also informed them that the school needs to be big enough for the two of us. Because I am still planning on going, too. They thought that was funny. But they don't know. I am going.

Here are some of the Ring Day Babies. *sigh


Later, we had to get Augie all dressed up for his first prom of the season. *sigh
He thought the Yankee hat was a nice touch.

I made him stand in front of his baby portrait.

He obliged me.

He is such a good boy...
And I've often warned him about his goofy faces.
Sorry Augie, I told you so.
But I do love you so very much.

12 comments:

Flea said...

Oh! How sweet! My dad told me he was going to college with me and I was horribly afraid that he would. He was that kind of guy.

The baby picture is so sweet! I make heirloom clothes, and it's always wonderful to see someone dress their babies like that. :)

Oh, I stole your 6 word memoir.

Anonymous said...

That Flea has sticky fingers!

I love the ring picture! Your babies are just lovely! Thanks for sharing.

Mental P Mama said...

Thank you Miz Flea, I already visited you, and I enjoyed your memoir! I am a southern gal in the land of the Yankees, and My mother always made sure my babies were dressed "properly"!!! Bless her heart.

Debbie said...

Oh...tough to have two so close together spreading their wings :(
I know what your feeling gal....

My how the rings have changed. Those are beautiful :)

Beautiful photo of son by baby picture! A treasure...

Anonymous said...

You have beautiful children! I especially love the photo of your con next to his baby portrait.

Country Girl said...

Aw, this was a nice post! Yes, they do grow way too fast. I love that your son obliged you and stood where he did. It was kind and considerate of him. I think the hat added a nice touch, to the tux! Your daughter is lovely.

Don Mills Diva said...

Beautiful - you must be so proud of both of them.

Snooty Primadona said...

Trust me, by the time they leave for college, you really won't want to go with them, lol. But, have your tissues ready, because it won't be easy.

I waited until we pulled away from the dorms, then the Dam burst.

But believe me, they call so much the first year that it's hard to actually miss them, lol.

Anonymous said...

Oh heart swooning, so, so sweet! I went to a highschool full of tradition as well and Ring Day was big big deal. Prom photo in front of the baby portrait? There are no words.

QueenofPlanetHotflash said...

My first day of empty nest, I sat in the swing on the deck with a glass of wine playing remember when by Alan Jackson over and over and used a box of tissues.
Wonderful Memories your family has created MP Mama beautiful children both you and I are blessed

Anonymous said...

Really nice photos of your children! It was great connecting last weekend in FL -- any pics to email?
va jane

Meg said...

You are too great, has anyone told you that? As a mom...I totally look up to you!

That ring picture was incredible! Kids and college...get the tissues out honey...