Tuesday, May 31, 2011
Sunday, May 29, 2011
My Uncle Bob was a West Pointer. Class of 1945.
My Father Babe was a cadet, too. Class of 1946. He served in Korea and in Vietnam, and died in 1986. His doctors attributed his untimely death due to the amount of the herbicides and defoliants he was exposed to during his three tours of duty in Vietnam.
You may remember that I wrote about my mother's brother, Uncle Y in April. Please take a moment today to reflect on the courage and valor of all our armed forces. Past, present and future.
The entire time my father and Uncle Bob were students at West Point, their father, my grandfather, was a prisoner of war. By some twist of fate he was the highest ranking artillery officer during the Death March of Bataan in 1942, and remained a prisoner of the Japanese for the remainder of World War II. I have many of the letters and papers that belonged to my grandparents from this time, and among them is the following poem in my grandmother's hand, with the date May 21, 1942. He would have been in the POW camp at this point, and much communication was done via HAM radio; those who received messages, would send them on to the family members across the country. My grandmother Sugar had several messages from my grandfather sent to her this way. Many of them contained parts of this poem.
To Myrtle R. an Army Wife
Thursday, May 26, 2011
Sunday, May 22, 2011
Friday, May 20, 2011
Wednesday, May 18, 2011
My name is Cupid and I am lost.
I am a Blue-headed Pionus Parrot—my body is green and my head is blue.
I was last seen by Schenck’s Island Park in Wilton, CT.
I might be acting shy or scared, but I may answer to “Pretty Bird”, “Hi Mommy”, “Hi Cupid”, or “Woof!”
Lost on May 17
If you have seen or found me, please contact my family to help me get back home!
Tuesday, May 17, 2011
Monday, May 16, 2011
Thursday, May 12, 2011
- Puffs Plus with lotion.
- A perfectly ripe avocado.
- Hummingbirds at the feeder.
- The car wash.
- My Wal-Mart orchid with 30 blooms and buds.
- Summer pj's.
- Mint iced tea.
- Willie Geist and Mike Barnicle.
- Discovering scarlet tanagers in the park.
- My babies are home from their second year of school! Halfway!
Wednesday, May 11, 2011
You Are Copper
You are provocative and challenging. You help people realize who they really are.
You live a very balanced life. You always take time for love and art.
You are both a powerful and generous person. You always have time to give back.
People find you to be incredibly ethical and loyal.
You Are Mint Green
Balanced and calm, you have mastered the philosophy of living well.
Your friends seek you out for support, and you are able to bring stability to chaotic situations.
You're very open and cheerful - and you feel like you have a lot of freedom in life.
Your future may hold any number of exciting things, and you're ready for all of them!
Tuesday, May 10, 2011
Monday, May 9, 2011
Sunday, May 8, 2011
Friday, May 6, 2011
Thursday, May 5, 2011
- I miss the smell of those precious bald heads.
- I miss long walks with the loaded double stroller and the happy bichon on his leash.
- I miss the pediatrician call-in hour where he reassured me my children were going to be okay despite whatever it was I discovered the evening before.
- I miss talking to the diaper service lady...she was so ahead of her time.
- I miss diapers. Really.
- I miss Dreft detergent.
- I miss baby shampoo.
- I miss the smell of Desitin ointment. I really do.
- I miss the feeding/pooping/medicine schedule we had to keep for preemies.
- I miss the musical mobiles.
- I miss the Meryl Streep lullabye song.
- I miss Barney and Baby Bop.