Thursday, January 29, 2009

Freezer Show-and-Tell

In our get-healthy bid, Big Hair Envy has asked us to show what's in our freezers.  Without any editing.  I actually took these shots a few weeks ago, but have been too obsessed interested in what some people are doing in Florida to post this.  So without any further ado, I give you the Mental P Freezer. Unedited.

This shot has your basic pesto, grilled chicken strips (organic), frozen chicken breasts (waiting for a nice pounding and balsamic marinade, followed by a turn on the grill), corn meal (hey, I'm Southern), unbleached flour, and those whole grain Arnold Sandwich Thins (these are the best--6 grams of fiber and 100 calories each!)
Here we have one of my favorite things.  When you are in a hurry, and don't have time to chop all your broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, etc.  Just pop one of these puppies in the microwave, and you have a bowl of steaming veggies.  I sometimes do this for lunch.  They also make a bag of brown rice that you can zap, too.  And it is wonderful.
Here we have some more quick lunch stuff.  I nuke these Green Giant Digestive Health creations, and toss a few of those grilled chicken strips in there, and Voila, another amazing lunch!  Oh, those are hot dogs on the right.  Remember, I do have a couple of teenagers.  And they like to eat, too. That green thing?  The Bird's eye wrap.  I have a matching one.  Like daughter, like mother.
Let's see...this looks like some whole wheat flour, some stew meat, some shrimp, some breadcrumbs, and some hotdog buns (remember those hungry teens?).  I also think I spy a bag of walnuts under there, too.  I snack on a handful of those every day or so.  They are good for you.
Okay.  There you have it.  Boring, right?  Now come on and show us what's in your freezer.  

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our ice maker broke and the defroster line froze up so it started raining in the fridge. After we got it fixed, I decided to throw out everything that was more than fifteen years old. The freezer looks like new!

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Where's the ice cream? What about that other essential food group, Popsicles?

Very impressive. You have me beat on both content and organization, but that's not very hard to do.

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I am impressed!

I took some pictures of my freezer but I may wait till I defost the old dinosaur and then take some more without the glacier.

Anonymous said...

Flour in the freezer? I've never heard of that. What does it do?

Daryl said...

Your freezer is bigger than my apartment ... and tonite, just for you I will take a photo of the Edelstein Fridge ... just promise not to rush out to a food bank to help fill it .. I suspect its empty ... no teenagers in me casa

Deb said...

Why do you put flour in the freezer? Fess up!

My freezer used to look like that when we were in the house, but after downsizing AND no kids...we don't have a lot of stuff. Promise.

Anonymous said...

Hm, too lazy to go snap some shots, but it has lots of the same stuff. Always lots of flour. Frozen veggies, especially in the winter. Girl Scout cookies if I'm lucky! *g

What I'd really LOVE in my freezer right now is some Blue Bell Ice Cream. Either homemade vanilla or cookies and cream. But they don't sell it here. Sigh.

kim-d said...

Those SteamFresh veggies are like a gift from the gods, aren't they? I do the same thing with the brown rice, the veggies with water chestnuts, snap peas, carrots and broccoli, and a couple shakes of ginger soy sauce. Mmmm. And right next to the Steam Fresh veggies in the freezer is a pint of Ben & Jerry's Banana Split ice cream. Incorrigible.

Decadent Housewife said...

Lucite or Freezer,
I show and tell neither.
:)

Sassy said...

I keep flour in the freezer as well...it keeps the bugs out and here in the heat of the desert that's big....it doesn't freeze hard enough here to kill the cooties. I ♥ the steamers...I just might do this one...take a pic of my freezer...we ALWAYS have ice cream of some sort...remember it's the desert and I live with four guys and have grandkiddo's!!!

shara said...

I will see if I can steal the daughter's camera (when oh when will I get my own?) and take a pic of the freezer. It is muuuch smaller than yours.

I think in it right now, just off the top of my head, are some veggies I love and some meat we can't remember where or when we got so noone really wants to eat it. Why don't we throw it out? Dunno. It is just the way it is...

Sandie said...

Looks mysteriously similar to my own freezer. Why are freezers so hard to keep tidy? I reorganize every so often, then bam! It's disheveled again.

Chere said...

Your freezer looks great. Thanks for the healthy lunch ideas. I am really trying to watch what I eat. It has been very hard being at our beach house. But I am trying. When I get back home, I'll photograph my freezer and post.

Unknown said...

Your freezer beats mine, hands down, on healthy foods. Sure on top is the good stuff...but underneath hiding are all the junk food quickies. And that is a first that I"ve heard of flour in the freezer...I will have to try that..THANKS!

Flea said...

You have such a healthy freezer. Maybe I'll do this, but the freezer's kinda empty at the moment. Lots of flavored ice pops.

Snooty Primadona said...

Okay, you inspired me to do a post about the same thing. I have a very naughty freezer filled with unmentionables...

Anonymous said...

My poor freezer is empty. Why is it men go on an eating frenzy if they are trapped in the house during icy weather?

Anonymous said...

Yummy! I could eat some of those steamed veggies right now:)

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

That could have been our freezer. I remember thinking the pull out bins would be handy. HA! I can't even pull them out because they're so clogged.

brneyedgal967 said...

Interesting... my freezer is such a mess and half of the stuff in it has freezer burn by now. Gah.

holly said...

we only have ice in our freezer, and not the kind you can put in a drink.

you can give a man a phd, but he still won't de-ice the freezer. dang.

mom x 2 said...

Where's the ice cream? And I'm still not sharing my freezer :)

Unknown said...

Looking good...what time is dinner?

dlyn said...

When I open my freezer, I need both hands to keep everything from falling out - no free hands to hold a camera! ;)

Country Girl said...

You have such a big freezer. Mine is small and has frozen meats and those steamer veggies. There's usually vodka, too.

Ellen said...

I think that the freezer is the new eye to someone's soul. Very interesting. Mine on the other hand, looks like something blew up in the freezer - I guess I had better clean it sometime soon.

Anonymous said...

Ha, enjoyed the post! I am a freezer person myself, there is always a TON more in my freezer than there is fridge. Thanks for sharing.

littletoesandcheerios said...

You go girrrrrl!

I hope I can do it too! I'm getting a little better frame of mind this week.