Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Celebration


We had another birthday celebration here in cocktail corner yesterday. This time around it was our friend Martha's day. She is about the best sport I have ever met. I am not kidding when I say that either. It was Martha who hosted the 'after my birthday brunch gathering.' We all descended on her late in the day because, well, we needed more 'celebration.' And she did it with her ever-present smile. I sometimes think she's gritting her teeth when she smiles.

Martha and her husband Sal have been married for over 30 years, and my friend Cheri and I believe that is all due to the fact that Martha is such a good sport. We have decided that their secret to happiness is that Martha doesn't sass him. Now, Sal will try his best to disagree with this theory. But it really doesn't hold any water for me. I have seen her in action. Never, ever sassing. Ever. I'm not kidding. Even when the situation really warrants a good verbal assault, Martha will sit and smile. She inspires me to be less sassful; is that a word? I think the world would be a lot more peaceful if there were more Marthas out there. Isn't that right, Sal?


Happy Birthday Week, Martha! You're the best!

1 comment:

Mental P Mama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.