Thursday, March 27, 2008

More Good News...


I'd better figure out how to lose this menopot.  I'm off for my cardio activity of the day.

My receipt from last month.  A Big Mac and a small Diet Coke.  Then, I read this little ditty online... gives me "pause to think."


Bulging belly now could mean dementia later

Carrying a spare tire in your 40s may raise your risk of Alzheimer's

Image: Measuring stomach fat
Getty Images stock
The risk of dementia nearly doubled in people who are a healthy weight, but had a bulging waist, a study found.

                                 By Steve Mitchell
MSNBC contributor

People with a bulging waistline in mid-life could face a higher risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s in the senior years, a new study shows.

Previous research has shown that having an apple-shaped body increases the risk of diabetes, stroke and heart disease, but this is the first time it has been linked to dementia and Alzheimer’s.

In the study, which was published Wednesday by the journal Neurology, people who were both obese and had a large belly were three times more likely to be diagnosed with dementia in later years than those of normal weight and belly size. The risk of dementia nearly doubled in those who were a healthy weight but still had a bulging waist, suggesting that fat accumulated around the midline is particularly unhealthy for the brain.

~~~~

After reading this yesterday, I immediately went on Dr. Oz's 9 pounds of fruit and raw vegetable fiber cure.  I think I have fiber-poisoning.  Will be back later.  Maybe.

13 comments:

Meg said...

OMgosh!!! I just heard this too! So scary... That is all we need!
I just emailed you, by the way!

Hugs from Texas!
Meg

Anonymous said...

Well...I'm not sure what to make of this. It seems like we regularly get updates from the medical community on how what we're doing now will cause issues in the future. I'm not sure what to believe.

But I believe I will not be eating a Big Mac in this lifetime. However there are so many other tempatations!

Mental P Mama said...

Oh but AG...it was calling to me!

Anonymous said...

Ugh! My father passed away from complications of Alzheimer's but there is one thing he didn't have...a big belly. So let's go with that...eat your Big Mac while you still can remember it.

abb said...

Hello? Hello?? Is this my friend, MPM??? My pot is so big I'm surely losing it already (sigh).

Must go so I can read up on that next damn diet I'll be trying.

I did try Weight Watchers and it worked for me...that is if Weight Watchers' definition of success is Watching one's Weight go UP. I'm walking proof that it works. (sigh again).

xoabb

Mental P Mama said...

Annie--It's all that creme fraiche! I've been meanin' to ask you how WW was going! Hurry home, we miss you here in cocktail corner.

And Noble, thank you...if I could remember where I put my keys, I'd be on my way!

Anonymous said...

People either love the tuna or hate it. No on seems to be luke warm. It probably causes dementia though, so you should eat it now while you remember that you like it!

foolery said...

Hi Mental P Mama,

Thank you for the funny comments you left on my blog. So glad to have you visit. Now, if I can remember how to get back to my site . . .

-- Laurie

brneyedgal967 said...

If we really listened to every study out there letsee... we couldn't even be around anyone smoking, we should wear a mask while we're driving because all the carbon monoxide fumes traffic creates, even while we're shopping in a city with high smog levels, forget about eating shellfish which is high in mercury, and fresh water fish is full of other contaminates, beef is riddled with disease, so is poultry, vegetables have only 1/10th of the nutrients they should have and are covered in pesticides, diet cola causes you to gain more weight than regular soda, taking certain pharmaceuticals alter our body's chemistry, anti-biotics reduce our immune system from fighting off disease, be careful of anything painted or toys from china for fear of lead, don't eat anything that was microwaved in a melamine dish because it emits carcinogens, and heaven forbid we should use teflon to scramble that egg, and forget eggs altogether because they're so high in cholesterol, and bacon too, white bread is unhealthy and most wheat breads also unless they're whole grain, bottled water contains more stuff than filtered tap water... need I go on?

Me? I say fuck it - eat what you want, drink what you want, smoke what you want, exercise or not, just as long as you laugh alot, love passionately and enjoy the time you do have. LOL

Leighanne said...

Eat the Big Mac. When your mind goes you won't know you've lost it or that the Big Mac made you chunky. Besides who wants the nasty side effects of all that fiber.

Flea said...

My grandfather had Alzheimer's and he was skinny as a rail his whole life. Unless they find proof, I'm not eating like a rabbit. Sorry. Reagan wasn't portly either, was he?

Mental P Mama said...

Well, I listened to you all and had cheese and crackers and a little vodka while I fixed dinner for the family...all is well here in metal land. If I could just find my dang keys...

Mental P Mama said...

That's 'Mental Land' --it was really two vodkas...