Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Be Purple

WHAT IS SPIRIT DAY?

The idea behind Spirit Day, first created by teenager Brittany McMillan earlier this month, is a simple one, not dissimilar to the idea of "Spirit Week" held in many high schools, and can be summed up in three words: Everyone Rally Together.

Spirit Day honors the teenagers who had taken their own lives in recent weeks. But just as importantly, it's also a way to show the hundreds of thousands of LGBT youth who face the same pressures and bullying, that there is a vast community of people who support them.

Purple symbolizes 'spirit' on the rainbow flag, a symbol for LGBT Pride that was created by Gilbert Baker in 1978.

As one of the event's Facebook pages says: "This event is not a seminar nor is it a rally. There is NO meeting place. All you have to do is wear purple."

Wearing purple on October 20 is a simple way to show the world that you stand by these courageous young people and a simple way to stand UP to the bullies. Remember those lives we've tragically lost, and show your solidarity with those who are still fighting. 'Go Purple' today!

Please RSVP to these events on Facebook: "R.I.P. ;; In memory of the recent suicides due to gay abuse, wear purple" and Spirit Day, A GLOBAL Day of remembering.

ARE YOU IN NEED OF IMMEDIATE HELP?

LGBT youth in need of immediate help should contact The Trevor Project 's 24/7 Lifeline at 866-4-U-TREVOR (866-488-7386) or The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255).

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I am wearing purple today and stand in honor of those precious babies who took their own lives because of what they went through. It needs to stop. It has to stop. Just be yourself and judge NOT those that are different than us.

It just makes no sense, the hate of others. No sense at all. Unfortunately, I know a few hurtful hate mongers who are adults NO LESS. This needs to stop.

Diane said...

What a lovely idea. I will be rumaging through my closet this morning in search of purple.

Daryl said...

I wish I had known .. alas I am not wearing purple but I do support anything that brings people together and stops bullying

LL Cool Joe said...

Thank you. xx

Joanie said...

Thanks for sharing this!

deborah said...

Thank you for sharing. I will be wearing purple.

abb said...

I forgot to wear purple! But my support is not forgotten.

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

XOXOXO for this.
<><

Diane said...

I am wearing my purple!

Together We Save said...

I am wearing purple today too!! We have to speak out and stop the bullying!

Country Girl said...

We had some students who wore purple with their uniforms today. Good to see.

Debbie said...

I own nothing purple. It's my least favorite color. Curves is purple.

I do support this and love that you posted it :)

Do not like bullies!!

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Thank you for helping to spread the word. I'm reading too late to wear purple but not too late to express my support.

Hate and intolerance are not something children are innately born with. They are taught.