Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Weighing In

Our little world requires has evolved so that Annie and I go to Weight Watchers on Tuesday Evenings for our hoisting on getting on their horridly incorrect time on the scale.  It was very happy the first week: we lost more than 9 pounds between us; Annie lost a little more than five;  me about 4....

We are now starting our third month.  It isn't pretty: I think we are down about 3 pounds, total. I am being generous (for Annie's sake). Really.  I am just so nice that way. We were all set to go last night to weigh, but I forgot to take my diuretic. (I didn't really forget, but fear it may be cheating.  Although I don't think they work on me....)  So when I called my beloved friend, we had the following chat:

Mental:  I don't want to go to Weight Watcher's.
Annie:  Why?
Mental: Um, because we have gained weight this week. And I think taking a diuretic is cheating.
Annie:  Oh, just take it!  Although, I think you are closing the barn door after the cows get out.
Mama:  I think you spent too much time in Missouri.
Annie:  Just listen to me......
Mental:  You want to have a glass of wine?
Annie:  Okay.
Mental:  I'll be there in a minute.

We had a nice night.  No weigh-in.  No weeping or gnashing of teeth. 

But in our defense:

We had a TROPICAL STORM to prepare for last week.  Hanna was, luckily, not much for us Nutmeggers:
  • Provisions had to be laid in (read: chardonnay).
  • Food had to be stored (read: cheese and crackers).
  • We had to go out and reconnoiter with our cohorts (read: drink chardonnay;  or vodka).
  • We needed a chili dog and curly fries at The Black Duck (it was awesome).
  • We needed a thinner spinner bacon and onion pizza and chardonnay at Partner's (never got to the pizza).
  • Sunday Brunch was all about reliving the horror. Not (read: chardonnay and mimosas).
  • We needed to drink the stockpiled chardonnay at home (read: still going on....).
  • And not forget the cookie dough...(too good for words.)
  • That was good, and Squazz is still waiting for some dough, Annie. ( I don't even know what this means...
So, the net bottom line is that we didn't go to the weigh-in.  But just as soon as I finish this glass of wine and this popover, I'm right back on track.

Maybe.

We were so lucky that the storm was not bad here, but, honestly, continue to pray for those in the path of Ike.  And everyone displaced by Gustav.

27 comments:

Suz Broughton said...

I agree you were just being prudent getting ready for a possible natural disaster. It all sounds like right-thinking to me.

Egghead said...

Wow! Sounds like home sweet home. I mow my way through all kinds of disasters. You know like a hint of gray clouds, too much sun, too little sun, too many birthdays, not enough cake to go around after eating it out of nervousness....on and on.

Anonymous said...

I cannot even imagine what I would stockpile for a hurricane, I'm telling you it would not be pretty.

Anonymous said...

In all seriousness, I do not think I can sustain a lengthy effort at avoiding the things I like. And I like my cider and nachos. I imagine there's a similar attraction for you and your chard and chili dog and curly fries (which sound awesome!). I can skimp on other things... but when it comes to my favorites, I'm determined to eat them in moderation. If that interfers with my weight, perhaps I'm not meant to be much lighter?
I'm glad the storm wasn't too bad for you!

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

I see nothing wrong with your approach at all. Again, up the wine and limit the food and you'll be racing to get weighed in.

Flea said...

Wow. So far north, yet you have such a grasp on the how-to of hurricane survival. ;)

Camellia said...

Love your approach to the climate crisis. Must remember to drink wine.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

you make me smile :D I just love how you put your thoughts down in print i so feel as though I am right there!
Hugs Laura

Anonymous said...

you will hear me wailing from my home town around 5PM tommorrow. cannot put it off any longer.....and Annie may be mopping the floor all day Friday due to the river of tears....do you think I will burn lots of calories? that would be a nice start to a new week! Nurse Nancy

abb said...

I "lost" this week (ie - the battle to get our f*t butts to WW), but next week I will prevail.
And keep that barn door closed!

Anonymous said...

AH, I'm so impressed at your discipline in getting ready for the storm!! I should take some lessons from you. Very, VERY impressive! What a stressful week!!

Anonymous said...

I will have a glass of Chadonooty in your honor tomorrow. Maybe 2!

I want you to know that I read today while eating a bagel smothered in butter! Think that is about 500 points!

As far as the storm...I know for a fact that the Chinese place delivers during massive storms. I stock pile take out/delivery phone numbers and of course; Wine, cookies (until NSLO finds the stash!) and coffee.

Bear Naked said...

I am printing up your list of must have provisions in case of a tropical storm heading my way.
Please everyone on the east coast go outside and blow REALLY hard my way. I wouldn't want to waste all these provisions (especially the wine.)

Bear((( )))

Deb said...

Boy, I wish I could drink wine but it just doesn't like my body. Drinking wine equals migraine, therefore I must reach for the Vodka, which is not a bad alternative! So, I will replace chardonnay for Vodka and my survival list will work out just fine!
Now as for WW, some days I am on it, others, most, I am not. Bottom line is, I like to cook therefore I love to eat. Is that really such a bad thing?

Caution/Lisa said...

You really did suffer! Glad you made it through courtesy of your careful planning.

Magpie said...

Wine is always better than weighing.

Daryl said...

See the diuretic does NOT work ASAP .. it takes time .. you'd do better suffer far less frustration if you'd just drink a LOT of water on weigh in days .. or even better stop going all together ... just decide that you love you just as you are .. just as I love you ... both

:-Daryl

tj said...

...If a hurricane ever makes it to Missouri I'm takin' shelter at your house! lol... ;o)

...Blessings...

WORKING MOM said...

Exactly why weight watchers wouldn't work for me...wine and not wanting to show weight gain thing in front of everyone. Peer pressure doesn't work for me.

Tonjia said...

hey the great thing about Weight Watchers is, that it is forgiving.

I am glad that Hanna was kind to you guys, one of my weight watcher friends in NJ said they all laid in provisions too. aka junk food! LOLOL

Sassy said...

Yeah how many points was all that good food you ate...yummy...maybe it is all on core..haha...now you just have to pay double next week..that stinks too...I am glad you were safe...these storms just scare me for all of you back there...it would probably drive me to drink as well...

Anonymous said...

Wine cures everything :)

I use the same checklist in the face of potential natural disasters. Oh, and I also pick up a couple of bags of ice!!

Lisa said...

You know, that weighing in thing is just way over rated. Why doesn't it fall off as easily as it piles on??? I'm hungry!

holly said...

you really don't want your health compromised during the storm. stock up on chocolate.

Snooty Primadona said...

hee, hee, hee... Nothing like having a great *partner in crime*.

So pleased to hear that you ditched the WW meeting and cleansed the soul instead, lol. Hey - Whatever works, huh?

Country Girl said...

Yeah, I'd be stockpiling wine for a hurricane, after I got all the other things like bottled water, etc. I did pick up a couple of big blocks of ice just in case we lost power. And yes, I'll admit it. Some wine and beer.

Debbie said...

Ya'll are hillarious and I'm glad Hanna was nice to all of you :)