Monday, November 5, 2012

Monday Morning Motivation

Part of the training program with my new real estate company is working with a Coach.  Her name is Alice, and I love her.  We are currently working on setting 2013 goals and steps we need to take to reach those goals. I have never actually sat down and written goals for a coming year.  I find it both exciting and terrifying.  Anyway, last week, we talked about the things that hold us back.  We all know what that is: internal negative chatter, external naysayers, lost focus, you get it.  One of the things that stayed in my mind after that session a miracle, I can assure you was the notion of de-cluttering our minds.  I am always onto the next thought or idea long before my current project is complete.  I used to call it my creative flow.  But, I have determined that it is mind clutter that derails me.

My mind clutter comes from my surroundings.  My housekeeping philosophy has always been that clutter is fine, it's the dirt I cannot tolerate.  So, as long as my house is actually clean, I can have stacks of stuff all over the place.  Magazines, coupons, paperwork, doo-dads.  You name it, I am surrounded by it; I like to think it is organized, but it is what it is.  Clutter.  So I came home last week, and started de-cluttering.  You'd think that a 1000 mile move in July would have necessitated a de-cluttering already, and it did.  But clutter has a way of springing up.  Fast.

I should be finished by the end of today in my office area.  If nothing else, I feel really accomplished.  But I can already tell that the energy in my little abode is already lighter.  My goals are coming together, and I am so looking forward to the future.  Did I tell you that I love Alice?

Do you have any clutter?  Come on, be honest.  Just try to clean out an area and tell me that you don't actually feel lighter and energized.  Just try it.


13 comments:

Pix at Under the Oaks said...

Very interesting post! I de-cluttered my household stuff in 2001 when we moved from St. Louis to the Lake of the Ozarks. De-cluttered again when we moved from The Lake to the Tiny Ten. I did a big de-clutter in April thinking we were going to move again. I stay de-cluttered in the house and we don't have alot of "stuff" anymore. It just isn't important to me. My neighbor when she visited once told me I couldn't be accused of over decorating.. :) My mind is always cluttered and leads to befuddlement. I tend to have too much negative thought clutter in my mind but I am working at changing that after reading The Complete Idiot's Guide to Zen Living. Congratulations on de-cluttering and I am happy your goals are coming together!

Good Morning!

I Am Woody said...

I have been FILLED with mind clutter for the last couple of weeks. I think I'm feeling the need to do a little house cleaning.

Daryl said...

For a nano sec i thought you were working with Coach and wondered if you were getting discounts ....

oh and setting goals .. if you're going to be evaluated based on what goals you set and achieve I would highly recommend thinking long and hard about how many goals you set ... just sayin' .. sometimes its smart to start small ..

Snooty Primadona said...

I'm totally convinced that clutter breeds at night while we're fast asleep. Having said that, I admit that it gets easier to de-clutter as you get older. Things become less important & order takes presidency. I've begun throwing out things with wild abandon. It's quite liberating...

Here's to Liberty... of all kinds!

abb said...

I want to get rid of EVERYthing in my house.

Sally said...

I cannot stand clutter, and my daughter is the worst clutterer person I know. I'm gonna have to set some ground rules when we move. Yeah, like THAT's gonna work! So, maybe I'll find her a new husband instead. HA!

You'll set those goals, and keep them; I just know you will.

Now, continue de-cluttering and I'll get back to packing. UGH!

Country Girl said...

The clutter is in our breakfast nook. It is unnerving. Yet it is my husband's hidey hole and I honestly think he likes it that way. I'm probably going to have to go in with a shovel (only exaggerating a little here) and clean at least my half. That will make me feel so much lighter!

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

CBW = Clutter Besieged Woman.

Like Annie I want to get rid of everything and start over. Hate it ALL.

Did your coach give any good tips for surviving a half marathon when you've done hardly any training? If so, please pass them along.

Signed,
CBW also = Chick Be Walkin' on Sunday!

Donna said...

Oh yes, I just try to hide it in cabinets and drawers! I have less than I used to. Right now, it's my camera equipment that's disorganized!

Hilary said...

If we ever find the place we're looking for, I'll be spending a great deal of time decluttering my place before we move. I'm terrified! ;)

Grandmother Mary said...

Clutter affects me physically, makes me anxious, jittery and scattered. So.... I keep things orderly, comfortable but orderly and feel much better in my clutterless abode. If things pile up on my desk I take time once a week to put them away. Luckily (thank you Goddess!) my Honey is the same way.

Donna S. said...

My house looks clean & neat. But....don't open a closet or drawer. My 10 year old granddaughter is always trying to clean them out for me - she saya I am a hoarder (I am not)!!

You sound "good"! I am "glad".

Debbie said...

I'm Queen of decluttering. I'm almost to the minimalist mode and find that my mind is clearer (less anxious) when I look around and see "order". Of course, that's part of the OCD as well.

I have about 3 areas left but the garage has gotten messy with the handyman here, so maybe 4.

You'll love the feeling and I'm glad you are happy with Alice :)

Goals? Big ones, no so much. Small daily ones are what keep me going.

Mind clutter? Constantly if things are in chaos :(