Monday, July 6, 2009

Memory Lane Monday

What a weekend!  The sun finally made it's appearance, and every person in the land hit the streets to celebrate.  Lucia and I went to a patriotic organ concert at my church which was better than we anticipated...and then we went to lunch.  It's what we do best.  Lunch.  This guy was wandering down the street.  In a New England town that was burned to the ground during the Revolutionary War, people take the remembrance seriously.  And I am thinking he may have actually been there.
Back at the old homestead, the teenagers were busy entertaining.  And I love every minute of it.  Every time a group convenes here, I want to go absorb them.  It will be a matter of weeks before they all scatter to their new lives.  My own two along with them.
I am quite nostalgic these days.  And this weekend, I was remembering a story with my Bird about a  trip we took to Jackson Hole one Summer when she and Augie were 7 or 8.  One of the things we did was to ride the luge down a mountain, but on a sled-like thing with a brake/throttle.  I went first, and midway, a streak of pink and blonde whizzed by, apparently having discovered the throttle.  I think I heard a "Hi, Mommy!"  At the bottom, the pink child and I waited for the boy child....Who was cautiously coming down the mountain with the brake in hand.  And some not-to-happy lugers behind him.

Guess who's already packed for school?

27 comments:

Mango Girl said...

Cherish those memories!

Sounds like you had a great weekend!

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

Ah...to grab those memories. Hold on tight!

Love the old guy...very authentic!

Asthmagirl said...

Wow! That guy is amazing!

Enjoy those babies while they're there. I just found out my lovely niece is off to Uganda for TWO years with the peace corp. Gosh, I'll miss her....

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Heavy *sigh*

Gin said...

Love memories like that! They are what keep me going during the hard times.

Daryl said...

What a fabulous photo ... and the cupcakes look yum ... you have raised them well, they are ready to fly and you will be so proud to see them soar ...

Sassy said...

Don't you just love daughters....and isn't it fun how different they are....


love the old fart....too cute!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

oh what fun!!!!!

Decadent Housewife said...

That's why you call her Bird, right?

Unknown said...

I love how little girls throw caution to the wind...while little boys use the brakes!

Is that old veteran heading out of or into that cemetery?

Nurse Nancy said...

Sounds like me and JBM. While I am a cautious soul...I tend to fly high and he coasts lower to the ground.

Enjoy your time together....

Unknown said...

I love the dude dressed in regalia!!! How cool and a little freaky...but cool.


I think I was packed the day after graduation or at least very close too it. She is on a grand mission and I am sure there is nothing that can slow her down.

Augie will probably pack the night before.

I Am Woody said...

Hold them close!!

Deb said...

Memories...they are the best!

imom said...

Great memory! Sounds exactly like my son and daughter.

Kate said...

What cute cupcakes...makes me hungry!

Keetha said...

Great story. My son got home last night after being gone since Tuesday, vacationing with his dad and grandparents. I was SO GLAD to get that child back home!

noble pig said...

OMG that guy...unreal and authentic looking.

I think it's you who is packed for school.

abb said...

That guy looks 100 years old!

And I'm smiling.

Mary said...

Oh, wasn't this past weekend glorious?! It's fun to remember the kiddos when they were little. My daughter is spending ten days in DC at a student leadership conference, and I'm missing her like crazy... And when she's here, she drives me crazy... !

Love the old dude. We had a character in our town who said his bible was the Constitution. Drove the town officials mad, but he was very colorful...

OK, I've probably rambled enough now. Sorry!

Country Girl said...

Damn, girl. She is going to be so fine! What a confident young lady you've raised.
What imagery you used, absorbing the kids as they convene upon your place. Yours is the party house! So fun.
And what's up with the old guy? He looks so tired.

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Love the picture of the man.

And my guess as to who is packed and ready for school?

You!

mom x 2 said...

Those memories are the best!

tj said...

...Gosh, we had a guy that looked similar to yours but in torn up blue jean shorts and no shirt and a baseball cap and inebriated so much that he kept falling into the bushes on our Main Street on the 4th of July - yeah, welcome to small town Main Street in Missouri! lol... :o)

...Love the story about your lil' Bird - memories like that are just priceless!

...Blessings MPM... :o)

Nancy said...

Wonderful memories. I love the pictures, too. Hang on tight, give them extra long loving looks. Take a picture for your heart.

Flea said...

Bwahaha! What a great memory!

imbeingheldhostage said...

Terrific post, great memory.
Those pictures are wonderful--the old guy is haunting.
Why am I commenting in short. cutoff.sentences?