Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Paging Helen Reddy...

I don't know about you, but I truly get a little jump start on the mornings I have a horoscope like this one: 


Today's Aquarius Horoscope:
Jul 01, 2009

A new opportunity could come your way today, dear Aquarius. There is no promise or guarantee, but an indication that if you devote yourself thoroughly, your chances of progress are pretty good over the next month on any activity begun today. Keep up the good work, and keep smiling at everyone! Don't forget that the latter action is as important as the first!

get yours


After reading through many horoscopes until I find a suitable one, I generally pop over to Tina Brown's The Daily Beast.  I highly recommend it if you have the time.  Today, there is a wonderful piece about the power and abilities of empty nest women by Mimi Swartz.  Here is an excerpt:

On the other hand, two or more decades of juggling have made these women very effective leaders, more focused and strategic with their time, according to Jarrett. “When you are forced to balance competing interests, you are forced to be vigilant about your day. Those habits stay with you,” she says. Her years of child rearing, she believes, have also made her more patient, a more tolerant listener and much better at reading body language. (Sometimes, after all, a pouting subordinate isn’t so different from a pouting 3-year-old.) She says she’s also more likely to let a staff member out of a meeting for a child’s soccer game, because she’s been there.

The empty nesters “tend to have skills that men their age don’t have,” says Ann Stock, former chief of protocol during the Clinton administration, and herself an empty nester. Above all, these women are grateful that they sacrificed neither home nor careers to get where they are today.

“When I was younger, I never could have appreciated this stage of life,” says Jarrett, referring to the power and freedom she’s enjoying in middle age. She likes to paraphrase the old feminist saw about how Ginger Rogers could do everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards in high heels. “We were used to dancing backwards and now we can dance forward,” she says. “Imagine how productive we can be.”

I love it!  And I wonder if I can put this on my resume... Going to go make it great a day now.  I hope you do too. And try to hum a little "I am Woman" while you're at it. 

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

No Helen Reddy for me thanks!

I do like the recognition as an almost empty nester though. I think it also made me a better listener. And more immune to drama.... [teenage girls? dramatic? anyone?]

I Am Woody said...

Hear me roar!!

Unknown said...

I so needed to read this one today..well, I need to read you every day...can you believe we have been a part of each other's journey through bloggin for over a year now and soon will meet? I can not even wrap my brain around it. I will be a blubbering idiot...I already am...Gah...the hormones.


I need wine at 9:30 in the morning.

Hilary said...

Oh oh.. that song is going to be in my head all day now... ;)

Daryl said...

Roaring here

Nurse Nancy said...

Love it. I need to be that way today myself.

Keetha said...

A great day - that's a good goal. Thanks for that. :-)

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Humming now! See ya soon!

Deb said...

usually, I can read your blog without my glasses. imagined how surprised I was to see all of this verbage. so I left your blog and went to find my glasses. now, thanks to my spectacles, I have read your unusually wording post today.
all I can say is...enjoy the empty nester time...because what preceeds this is caring for an elderly parent...and that is not fun.

Andrea said...

This is great - I'll check out The Daily Beast. As a fellow Aquarian, I need to get busy today and start something wonderful!

Fragrant Liar said...

I totally agree with this sentiment about balancing competing interests. Though I still feel like I did when I was, say, 30, I'm so much more together. So much savvier about life in general, and not shy about voicing my opinion -- diplomatically, natch -- but being heard all the same. I think most people respect that more anyway, and you therefore set a good example for other younger women.

lindaloohoo said...

i heartily agree IF the woman isn't going thru her own version of a midlife crisis.

i have known and loved one or two women who were amazing mothers, wives and leaders until they became empty nesters, at which point they became completely self obsessed, narcissistic, damaged and damaging women, who suddenly felt like they could do and say and DO anything they wanted and damn other people's feelings.

whoa.
bitter, party of one.

other than that, i completely agree.

lindaloohoo said...

i heartily agree IF the woman isn't going thru her own version of a midlife crisis.

i have known and loved one or two women who were amazing mothers, wives and leaders until they became empty nesters, at which point they became completely self obsessed, narcissistic, damaged and damaging women, who suddenly felt like they could do and say and DO anything they wanted and damn other people's feelings.

whoa.
bitter, party of one.

other than that, i completely agree.

Karen Deborah said...

I still don't believe your an empty nester, is that an old photo? Are you really that pretty? Menopause? are you serious? So what are you going to start today? how about some business?
I have to much time on my hands and have resorted to throwing a wedding for some cows.

imom said...

Helen Reddy was one of the first concerts I went to!

Great post MPM!!

Unknown said...

You are on the right road!

Big Hair Envy said...

I heart Helen Reddy! She sang a song about me....the crazy version!! My baby sis STILL belts out "Delta Dawn" when given the opportunity! Good times...

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Chaka Kahn's I'm Every Woman is also a good one.

Roar.

abb said...

O dear....

Mango Girl said...

I hope you had a happy day with lots of smiles!