Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Monday, August 30, 2010
Friday, August 27, 2010
Thursday, August 26, 2010
- Why did we have to learn how to use a slide rule? Have you ever used one in the real world?
- Dora and I had a beautiful walk this morning. There is a hint of Fall in the air.
- I love the change of seasons. I think it must be because of my short attention span.
- I was really sad for college departures this year. But I have recovered.
- I got an international driver's license yesterday. I feel so grown up.
- I am so ready for football to start.
- We have our
jihadbridge group tonight. I feel lucky;)
- Remember those fat pencils and crayons that were flat on one side? Do they still make those?
- And that jar of paste that had the hole in the middle where the little brush would fit? I loved that. I may or may not have even snacked on it from time to time.
- And what about logarithms? I can tell you that not only do I not know how to do them, I have never had to think about it since my SAT.
- Speaking of SATs...shudder.
- I am going on an adventure in one week. I cannot wait.
- I am currently reading Italian Phrases for Dummies. It is awesome.
- Does anyone know how I can lose 20 pounds in one week?
Wednesday, August 25, 2010
I have actually lost sleep lately over these stories. And as a matter of fact, any time I hear the words, I itch all over. The worst infested cities in the US are:
#1. Cincinnati, Ohio
#2. Columbus, Ohio
#3. Chicago, Illinois
#4. Denver, Colorado
#5. Detroit, Michigan
#6. Washington, D.C.
#7. New York, New York
#8. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
#9. Dayton, Ohio
#10. Baltimore, Maryland
Make your travel plans accordingly....And, you're welcome.
Tuesday, August 24, 2010
I leave her alone at school for 24 hours, and this is what she does?
Monday, August 23, 2010
Monday, Aug 23, 2010
This is a calm, balanced, rather quiet time. You keep to yourself pretty much and can get some practical chores accomplished.
Tuesday, Aug 24, 2010
Giving and receiving appreciation, love, and happiness come into your life now. You are moved to express your affections more openly than usual. You also want to be surrounded with beauty and harmonious people, and your artistic efforts flourish.
Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010
You may find something you believed to be lost or irretrievable. Things that have been forgotten or hidden come to the surface. Old issues in your personal relationships arise once again also.
Thursday, Aug 26, 2010
You are in an independent or defiant mood, and you chafe at routine and formalities. However, if you have a great deal of freedom and flexibility in your life at present, you will be in a wild mood and might decide to change your plans for the day quite suddenly and spontaneously. This may upset people who were counting on you more than it bothers you at the moment.
Friday, Aug 27, 2010
This is a time for getting a little loose and wild with friends, going dancing, or doing something out of the ordinary that is stimulating and fun. You meet interesting new people and are more open to people who are quite different from yourself. An opportunity for a romance may arise which is likely to be exciting, though short-lived.
Saturday, August 21, 2010
Wednesday, August 18, 2010
- The second year of college is dawning for the Mental P Twins.
- I already miss them more than my taut waist.
- I don't know how I managed this...
- But my two children are in the top tier of humans I have ever known.
- The top
- No. The top two.
- And I have to give props to their Dad, an amazing person.
- Even though we didn't work out, we managed to keep the needs of our children above our own nonsense. And nonsense it was. Especially on my part. I can own it now. I'm 50.
- And if it weren't for all their products in the bathroom, I would not have noticed they were here.
- The Bird hosted some smashing dinner parties. And worked hard all summer.
- Augie worked his you-know-what off at two jobs. And enjoyed his sister's social gatherings.
- Not that he needs her for his social endeavors....
- They often served as a driver for their mom....
- Even reminding me to save my money; I think I taught them a little too well.
- The laundry was often a pleasure for me. I think I may need help....
- Their ability to assess character is astounding.
- The Bird is the most diligent homekeeper there is. I seriously don't know where it came from.
- I am still ending sentences in a preposition.
- But I'm a little bereft. I'm excused.
Monday, August 16, 2010
Sunday, August 15, 2010
islands of the Chesapeake
slip into to memory"
Friday, August 13, 2010
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
- I bought a new memory card last week. Took pictures for 4 days with it. And? Nada.
- I totally understand that Jet Blue Flight Attendant. Where has common courtesy gone?
- And sweat bees. Where have they gone? Anybody seen a sweat bee lately?
- Dora's BFF in the park is a little frog. Not. Kidding.
- I am on a huge Fage yogurt kick. Cannot get enough of the stuff.
- By next weekend, both of my babies will have yet again flown the coop.
- And it's okay... because I have something to look forward to....
- And I can stop being on a first-name basis with all the kind folks at the grocery store.
- I wish I could wiggle my nose and have my whole office area cleaned up and ready to go.
- There is a new store in New York...and it's full of Pop Tarts. Heaven.
- Just noticing some very poorly constructed sentences above...kinda like this one.
- Like those that end in prepositions?
- And those that aren't even sentences at all?
- I wonder what my old grammar teacher Mrs. Waterfield would say?
- I wonder where she's at...
Tuesday, August 10, 2010
Monday, August 9, 2010
Sunday, August 8, 2010
Saturday, August 7, 2010
Free Webcam Chat at Ustream
Friday, August 6, 2010
She wrote............ I just finished taking an evening class at Stanford. The last lecture was on the mind-body connection--the relationship between stress and disease. The speaker (head of psychiatry at Stanford) said, among other things, that one of the best things that a man could do for his health is to be married to a woman whereas for a woman, one of the best things she could do for her health was to nurture her relationships with her girlfriends.
At first everyone laughed, but he was serious.
Women connect with each other differently and provide support systems that help each other to deal with stress and difficult life experiences. Physically this quality girlfriend time" helps us to create more serotonin--a neurotransmitter that helps combat depression and can create a general feeling of well being. Women share feelings whereas men often form relationships around activities. They rarely sit down with a buddy and talk about how they feel. Women do it all the time. We share from our souls with our sisters, and evidently that is very good for our health. He said that spending time with a friend is just as important to our general health as jogging or working out at a gym.
There's a tendency to think that when we are "exercising" we are doing something good for our bodies, but when we are hanging out with friends, we are wasting our time and should be more productively engaged--not true. In fact, he said that failure to create and maintain quality personal relationships with other humans is as dangerous to our physical health as smoking! So every time you hang out to schmooze with a gal pal, just pat yourself on the back and congratulate yourself for doing something good for your health!
We are indeed very very lucky.
So let's toast to our friendship with our girlfriends. Evidently it's very good for our health.
Wednesday, August 4, 2010
- Love is not a feeling, it is a behavior.
- You don't really have to have 8 glasses of water every day.
- "Parent" is actually a verb.
- Don't "say," just "do."
- How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours. ~ Wayne Dyer
- That clean underwear thing you've always heard? It's true.
- Love is when two people know everything about each other, and it's okay.
- True friends stab you in the front. ~ Oscar Wilde
- A dirty diaper always needs to be changed as soon as possible.
- Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence. ~ George Washington
- The only way to have a friend is to be one. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~ Abraham Lincoln